Thursday, February 3, 2011

Carol’s Daughter Lisa Price Shares Her Story


Lisa Price, owner of the company Carol’s Daughter, is who women turn to to get their hair beautiful and healthy. She recently was chosen as Today’s Show “Grios 100 History Makers In The Making” and shared her humble beginnings before coming up with the idea to start her own company. Lisa once worked as a writer’s assistant for “The Cosby Show,” but managed to turn a hobby and a $100 investment into a millionaire dollar business. “I really thought about it as something to do and I thought it was fun.”

Her company started off as a natural line of beauty products sold out of her home but has now gone mainstream and can be found in malls and major department stores like Macys. With celebrity investors like Will Smith, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Jay-Z, and Mary J. Blige to back her products up, there’s no doubt she’s headed straight to the bank. Check out excerpts and video of her interview below:

You can’t sell a black woman hope in a jar, you have to deliver. When she puts the money down for that product, she doesn’t want hope, she wants something that works.

I started playing around in the kitchen, first making fragrances and then making products to add those fragrances to. My mom encouraged me to sell at a church flea market. I wish I could go back to her and say,” Why did you suggest that?” I was never a sales person. I didn’t expect to sell out! I didn’t expect for people to be so interested in the product. I really looked at it as we’ll have fun and maybe I’ll sell some cream and you know here I am.

On the first time she was featured in Essence magazine

That little half page changed my entire life. It changed how many phone calls came in, how many orders went out; nothing was the same after that.

On where the concept of the products came from

Early on I decided I was going to be food related because I looked at the products as food for your skin and hair. Then coming up with the names for the fragrances sometimes it depending on what was in it, the mood was at the time.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment