Wednesday, September 15, 2010

MAG COVERS: SOLANGE COVERS FASHIZBLACK MAGAZINE + VIDEO OF THE SHOOT


Check out Solange Knowles on the cover of Fashizblack Magazine where she speaks about her style influences and more. You can also peep a behind the scenes video & snippet from the interview below:


How do you judge your style’s evolution? Does it match with your artistic & musical evolution?
From 17 to until maybe 20 , I became a mom, I was in Idaho, was a stay at home mother, and my style was very very basic, I just didn’t have the time for the looks. At the time, at the point where I was in my relationship, I sort of lost a sense of myself. I look back at those outfits and I’m like, who is this? Maybe I was trying to become who my husband was attracted to or I tried to be like a mom should look like. Then I got back to the music, got out of the relationship, and started to be drawned to this influence again. It was all about that 60’s Pop culture, paired it with a very comfy hat or a fun pattern. But I still hadn’t grasp the sense of mixing.

Over the past 2 years, it ( my style ) had definitely followed my music, which is a mix of great 70’s and 80’s sounds. There are definitely some influences there. But I also started to listen to a lot of great afro beat music, and discovered amazing things that you can do for example with ankara, and mixing it up with mainstream pieces. There are so many great designers who just do this. I’ve been introduced to them, and I’m getting deeper and deeper into this.







No comments:

Post a Comment