Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Drake Covers Complex: Talks Sweaters, Biggest Fears & Love For Serena

After creating and then scrapping at least two music videos in his career, Drake is beginning to develop a low tolerance for wasting time and money. This was apparent during his latest photo shoot for Complex when he stopped the shoot mid-way through to call up his manager. Drake wasn’t feeling the photographer and decided he’d rather have one of his homeboys from Toronto to finish the shoot:

I’m not going to take that sh*t,” Drake says when I ask him later what went wrong at the shoot. “Nah man, I work too f*cking hard for that. So does everyone around me. Not to hate,” he says, “and to whoever I snatched that opportunity from, I apologize. But this is about what we’re trying to build here.”

When all was said and done, Drizzy’s cover features him on the cover of a blues cd cover (somewhat different but it works) that is being held by an unidentified female. In the cover story,Drake chopped it up with Complex about being nitpicked on in the media, his fears, rap beefs and tennis champ Serena Williams for his Complex Cover Story. Take a peek at the excerpts:

On the media:
They nitpick at everything,” he says, shaking his head. “I can’t do anything. All they want me to do is dress so they can make fun of me. Otherwise, it’s hard for them. I don’t give people many reasons to dislike me. They have to find sh*t. They’re like, ‘Aw man, sweaters! He wears sweaters too much.’ Like, what?

On his fears:
Dying, before I accomplish all this. That’s it. My father taught me: ‘Don’t fear any man. Don’t ever fear another person.’ I don’t get myself mixed up with stupid sh*t. I get a lot of love. I don’t feel tension. I stand 6’2″. By no means am I the most threatening guy in the rap game, but there are very few people who will come up and say that sh*t to me in person. It’s always all smiles. That’s one thing I do not fear, anyone in this game. Nobody. Especially none of these guys that are paid to talk sh*t.

If somebody wants to bring a problem to me, it’s strictly based off of their immense amount of hate for me,” he says. “It’s never because I’ve sparked that using my voice, my image, or my outlet. I never use my outlet for confrontation or negativity, ever. I always try and give people music to ride to and music to enjoy. All I ever ask in return is that it’s mutual love.” Is that too much to ask? Maybe. But what can you do when the love turns to hate? “I’m ready for whatever,” he says. “I don’t give a f*ck. I want to move through life in the most non-confrontational way possible, but I’m not a pussy. Don’t ever get that mixed up.”

On a rumored relationship with Serena Williams
“I really, really love and care for Serena Williams. She’s incredible. That’s someone I’m proud to say I know. She’s definitely in my life and I’m in her life. It’s great to watch her play tennis. Very impressive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment