Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Drake: ‘Rihanna Is The Most Iconic Female Right Now – Next To Nicki Minaj’

Google Music caught up with Drizzy a few weeks ago while he was on the promo run for his new album, ‘Take Care’ for an interesting chat. During his intimate sit down, Drake discussed a range of topics including his legacy, staying consistent and his fascination with getting into the minds of females. He also revealed that he believes that Rihanna is the most iconic female out right now, next to his labelmate Nicki Minaj.

Check out a few excerpts and video below:

On being consistent and making quality music
I’m not the guy that would ever be able to make surface music with no substance. I think all my projects, hopefully, I’m working through some form of emotion because I think that’s what music is about. It’s about connecting and people being able to relate.

In five years, I like people to view “Take Care” at that point as another point of consistency. Another over delivery on something people thought I was going to drop the ball on. I think every time I say I’m about to do something people are waiting for me to fumble. That’s probably one of the biggest motivations behind a lot my raps is the amount of people that want me to fall or whatever. I think that should be the motivation for most rappers. The further you climb towards the top, the more hands you have on your pants leg dragging you to the bottom. I wear really strong pants.

On collaborating with Rihanna with the title track “Take Care”
I think my goal was something that moves. I really wanted to bring her into our world but still allow her to be herself. I think she really shines bright. She comes from a place that’s so rich in culture, so rich in music, but being what I feel like, the most iconic female period right now—next to Nicki Minaj, of course… [Nicki is] just doing incredible, she’s my favorite person.

On making music for women
Kendrick Lamar says something on my album that rings so true. “Women are the tastemakers for the music that we make.” Women buy records and women fall in love with music and listen to it when they fall asleep. It moves them and I have this fascination with getting into the minds of women and truly letting them know how I think as a man and letting them know how I view them as women. That should appeal to men as well.

On his legacy
I want people to really feel like I knew Drake while he was on this Earth. I know everything about him. There were no secrets, there was nothing that he hid, no feelings that he concealed. In five years, hopefully I have a couple more projects out that surpass Take Care, but I would like for them to say I remember that moment when I wasn’t sure what was gonna happen and Drake delivered an album that served a purpose in my life.

Watch the full interview below:

No comments:

Post a Comment