Friday, December 30, 2011

Don Cheadle Talks About What It Takes For A Black Man To Win An Oscar

Kudos to the folks over at JET for one of the best cover stories we’ve read in a minute! Don Cheadle is the mag’s front man this time around and he shows his funny side in the feature, probably a good idea since he’s preparing to premiere his new Showtime series “House Of Lies” very soon. He executive produces and stars in the show about a greedy management consultant who has a cross-dressing son and a father who lives with him.

Check out a few of our favorite excerpts from the story below:

On His Resemblance To Conrade Murray:

“(Conrad Murray) is actually my passion project. You hit it! I want to play Conrad Murray, but I want to do him in drag and somewhat mentally disabled because that’s what will get me my Oscar. Oh wait, for Black people you have to be like a prostitute or a gangster. I’ll do him as a prostitute and I’ll definitely get that Oscar!”

On His 20 Year Relationship with Bridgid Coulter (the couple has 2 daughters, Ayana, 17 and Imani, 15):

“We were married in a pagan ritual,” jokes Cheadle. “No it just wasn’t planned. Our first daughter wasn’t planned and it just happened. So we were like, we’re together. Are we supposed to get married now? After 20 years, I guess we could. It’s just never been a priority.”

On Not Being Hollywood:

“It’s not me,” says Cheadle. “If I suddenly became ‘that guy,’ it would seem ridiculous. I’ll kill a hooker or something, or get into a bar fight with Jamie Foxx. I dunno!”

On Obama:

“I think he inherited an impossible situation. I wish he had not been so much of a consensus-seeker. I just wanted to see a more ‘gangsta’ president.

No comments:

Post a Comment